Did you know that…
1.Women tend to run the second half of the marathon faster than the first whereas in men it’s completely the opposite?
2. The treadmill was originally developed as a punishment device for prisoners in English prisons? Turns out, the nickname ’’dreadmill’’ isn’t that far fetched after all!
3. The worlds fastest marathoner is Eliud Kipchoge, breaking the previous World Record with the time 2.01.39.
4. Said World Record marathon was run in 2018 in Berlin on a course that has seen every single new world record in the past 15 years? This is due to the few sharp corners and flatness of the course.
5. 12 of the top 20 distance runners in the world originate from the Kalenjin tribe of north- western Kenya. Eliud Kipchoge is one of these runners.
6. Your feet can produce up to a pint of sweat every day. That’s almost half a liter!
7. It takes the cooperation of 200 muscles to take a step when you run.
8. When we run, the human heart can create enough pressure to squirt blood up to 30 feet. Impressive.
9. Running does not always improve your health. Running over 80k weeks can increase the risk of upper respiratory diseases.
10. In 2012, 56% of all 15,5 million race finishers in the US were female. On the half marathon distance, the gender split is around 61/39 women to men.